Our Academic Standards
Tawingo College follows the Ontario Ministry of Education Common Curriculum. Our small class sizes make it possible for us to provide enhancements and enrichments to the curriculum that encourage creativity and discovery including French, Outdoor Education, Music and Drama. Students get the support they need to excel and leave Tawingo College fully prepared to continue their education well beyond their experience here.
We provide formal, traditional learning with an emphasis on reading and writing to ensure a strong foundation. Every student’s ability is closely monitored and no-one is left to fall through the cracks.
Our teachers are certified and many of them have a significant amount of additional training and certification.
At Tawingo College we teach Mathematics using the JUMP Math Program.
- Pure discovery-based math lessons can cause cognitive overload and therefore do not work as well as those in which a teacher helps a student to navigate a problem’s complexities.
- Studies show that JUMP Math, a guided-discovery program the author developed, lifts students to much higher levels in math than most standard methods while shrinking the gap between weaker and stronger students. (Article on Jump Math in Scientific American.)
- The confidence that students gain by succeeding in math can bring broader benefits.
All students are expected to maintain an academic standard that reflects a commitment to learning. Students and Tawingo College faculty work together to establish a schedule that enables each child to feel comfortable with the program.
Students can expect scheduled homework, reports, presentations, and regular assessments as part of every term. Parents are kept informed of their child’s activities and progress through calendars, letters, formal and informal interviews, and regular report cards. The report cards are written by the teachers and do not use computer generated comments. Each report card is several pages long with extensive details about the student’s progress.
Tawingo College Values
- Respect for self and respect for others
- An atmosphere of cooperation for mutual benefit
- Honesty and integrity in all aspects of life
- Self discipline and responsibility for one’s actions
- Independent thinking and personal responsibility
- Self-confidence and self-assurance
- Critical thinking skills and problem solving
Tawingo College Promises
- A safe and secure environment where friendship and community flourish
- A return to the basics where reading and writing skills are emphasized to ensure a strong foundation
- Preparation for continuing education and lifelong learning
- Small classes and individual attention to each student’s needs and personality
- An emphasis on physical fitness, healthy leisure studies, and creative expression
- Curriculum designed to integrate knowledge and skills into everyday life with current and sequential references and connections between subjects
Our Values and Promises in Action
Tawingo College starts each school day with an assembly where we make announcements, share information and achievements and have celebrations. Teachers and students volunteer stories about each other that shine a light on an admirable action. An example might be, “I’d like to celebrate John for helping me carry my Science project down to the school this morning.” The celebrations are genuine and a part of the students routine every day.
Once a week we have an activity called Just Do It where all the students in the school play outdoor games together. It fosters both co-operation and leadership skills.
Each student in the school participates in our regular plays/musicals and concerts. They gain self-confidence & assurance while learning lifelong public speaking skills.
Our small class sizes ensure that each student is very well known to all the teachers allowing them to discover and encourage what is unique about each student. It also means that every student will be held accountable to the standards specific to them.
The small school, small class sizes, and sense of community ensure that students take social responsibility for their behaviour. Students need to figure out a way to get along with each other in this environment. The teachers and administrators are there to ensure that this happens respectfully.
The school is set up to create a multitude of opportunities for one-on-one time with the students. Struggling students will receive as much attention as they require as will students who are performing beyond their grade level.
Several of our teachers are artists, actors and musicians and know how to nurture creative expression and value what is unique in each child.
Our teachers all have an infectious love of learning. This will impact the students long after they have left Tawingo College.
Many of our students read well beyond their grade level. Tawingo College students go on to excel academically in high school.